Edublog Assignment #3

esmeralda-shadowbox
I live in city called Oakland California. The neighborhood i grew up in was hard any scary, being scared if you will die young. As a person i would describe myself as a cold hearted but loving person who is kind to me. As a daughter i describe myself to be a good person who is actually trying to have a future and helps out my mom a lot, as a sibling i am nice but mean, as a friend i am kind. An aspect of my identity is i was born and raised in Oakland, I am mexican(mixed race).

To begin with i choose a picture of a lady cleaning, this means that people usually think us mexican women are only good for cleaning. The second picture i used was a white lady saying we are lazy, this means that white people/other say us mexicans are lazy and don’t do anything. The last picture i used was a picture of Mexicans crossing the border, this means that people say all mexicans are immigrants and came here by crossing the border. I feel disappointed that people think that about Mexicans when half of those things are not true.

Next the counter narrative that i choose first was a picture of mexican food, this means that mexicans make delicious food. The second picture i choose was a picture of mexicans working hard, this means that mexicans are hard workers and work for things we want. The last picture i used was a picture of mexicans talking about the USA was first mexico, this means that white people don’t have the right to kick us mexicans out of California when it was first Mexico before White people took it from us. This makes me feel happy since all of the pictures are true about my race and ethnicity.

Also in the inside of my shadowbox i put a picture of my boyfriend and me, i choose this picture because he has been there for me and had supported me. I also put a picture of my dog, i put this picture because she has made me happy for years making my sad days happy. Another picture i also put was a picture of my family, i put this picture because they have supported me and still support me. This makes me proud because all of those things and more have made me who i am now as a person in life.

In conclusion, people see me as a person who has a lot of support and love in her life. If people really knew me they would know that i am actually not a happy person and that i have went through a lot of things. Telling the story of who i am really am is important to me because i want people to know how i got to the way i am now as a person. What i’ve learned in this unit is to not judge people by the way they are or look but also that there is actually only 4 races.